Did you know: people that are exposed to mold are up to 50% more susceptible to developing asthma.

Have you noticed that you are feeling winded while walking up and down your stairs? Or perhaps you have a lingering headache that does not seem to want to go away. Mold exposure symptoms are tricky to figure out.

If you are experiencing many of these symptoms, call your doctor first, but then consider having your home or workplace air duct system cleaned by a professional.

Here are 5 ways indoor mold can impact your health:

Weakness & Fatigue
By themselves, fatigue or weakness aren’t enough to be suspicious of mold exposure. However, it is important to know the difference between just being tired and long-term fatigue. Tiredness can best be correlated with poor sleep habits. Fatigue is the constant craving for a recharge and rest.

You can always try to trace symptoms to your indoor environmental factors. Has your home or workplace experienced water damage? Are the air vents discolored? Mold thrives in damp environments. Once mold grows, it releases spores in the air triggering problems to those that are sensitive to such growths. If you’ve had multiple lung or sinus infections and combine that with constant fatigue, it is worth consulting a doctor.

Difficulty Concentrating or Recalling Information
Anxiety and an unhealthy diet certainly make it difficult to concentrate, but if your brain feels it is in a haze, it is time to start paying attention to what your body is trying to tell you. Forgetting simple words, or numbness might be blamed by stress from a doctor. The differentiator is that if these symptoms are combined with a rash or shortness of breath you could be suffering from poor air quality. Even if mold isn’t visible to the naked eye, it could be concealed under paint or under carpet.

Headaches & Light Sensitivity
Headaches are a symptom of many health issues so pinpointing their roots can be difficult. Diet, posture, anxiety, and sleep deprivation can all play a part. Although headaches are common, if they are frequent, it can be concerning. Light sensitivity added on to that can really affect day-to-day life. If common painkillers aren’t helping your flu-like symptoms, it could be a sign of poor air quality.

Joint Pain & Stiffness
Different people experience different symptoms caused by mold exposure. Allergies are more prevalent in the fall because leaves release mold spores into the atmosphere. Mold can also be a trigger for a more subtle condition: Chronic Inflammatory Repose Syndrome (CIRS) The array of symptoms can confuse doctors. Joint pain is a tricky symptom because it can lead to thinking the condition is rheumatism or something more severe. Your doctor can rule those conditions out with simple blood tests. It is worth mentioning to them if you are aware of any mold in your home.

Red eyes & Sweats
Red eyes & blurred vision are both signs of early exposure to mold spores in the air. One out of every four people are sensitive to mold. The degrees of sensitivity are vast. Nature has funny ways of showing an early warning system. These symptoms can show that you are having health problems in a building that you frequently use. It is important to also note that symptoms from mold exposure can be comparable to Lyme disease. It is important to get tested. Your physician can also find mycotoxins in your system while an inspector can trace the mold. If you don’t have something severe, your doctor can still likely find what is bringing out your symptoms.

What should I do if I’m experiencing symptoms of mold exposure?
The best thing to do is always call your doctor. He or she can rule out other health problems and narrow down possibilities until eventually they are able to treat you. If you learn you are experiencing these issues from mold, call a professional air duct cleaning provider to evaluate your home or workplace. Proper cleaning of ventilation systems is key to removing any existing mold spores that may be trapped in your ducts.